Hello farm friends!
It’s time for another week of PRODUCE BOXES
Many thanks to all of you who came by the hardware store for veggies last week, I hope you enjoyed your fresh vegetables!
This week’s box will have kale, swiss chard, radishes, green onions, and a large portion of broccoli in it. $20 + sales tax, paid upon pick-up.
To reserve your box this week, please follow these simple steps
- respond to this email with your desired pick-up date (Wednesday 5/4 or Saturday 5/7) **for Wednesday, please respond by 2pm on Tuesday; for Saturday, please respond by 2pm on Thursday
- check for confirmation email from Pressly
- pick up your box at Renfrow Hardware during business hours (Wednesday 8am-5pm; Saturday 8am-2pm)
- payment accepted upon pick-up: $20+tax (cash, check, or credit card)
- EAT & ENJOY your fresh, organically grown veggies!!
***Due to the farm’s busy schedule this week, customization of boxes is not available until May 11th. Thanks for understanding!***
Additionally, I’ll have individual bunches of kale, collards, arugula, swiss chard, mizuna, radishes, turnips, lettuce, green onions, andbroccoli available at Renfrow Hardware Wednesday through Saturday this week. They’ll be set up inside the store as a mini-farm stand until we open the real farm stand starting on Tuesday, June 7th.
People often ask me to describe what my typical day of work looks like. It’s a very difficult question simply because every single day is totally different!
But here’s a peek at the current Farm To-Do List:
- harvest: veggies and flowers for restaurants, florist, produce boxes, & hardware store
- plant: cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, green beans, okra, basil, various flower seeds, dahlia tubers
- pull weeds! This task is permanently on the to-do list.
- spread mulch on tomato rows (Gaspar made great progress on Monday before the rains came)
- cage all tomatoes
- mow grass and do final touches of clean up before garden tour
- finish cleaning Lilly’s house. I can’t wait to show y’all some photos next week of what we’ve done inside the little building in the center of the farm – Mary Beth is a master at organization and decoration!!
- make flower bouquets
It’s almost Mother’s Day and what mother doesn’t want to be showered with love and flowers?! I’ll have bouquets in several sizes available all week at Renfrow Hardware. Email me to reserve one for pick-up any day Wed-Sat.The quiet before the (first) storm on Monday afternoon.
The Wing Haven Garden Tour weekend is nearly here! We’ve been anticipating this our first farm tour for over a year. If you’re coming, please do feel free to bring a picnic and stay awhile!
Garden Tour tickets are available at Renfrow Hardware leading up to the tour. $30 per person, cash only. $35 on day of event. All proceeds benefit the Wing Haven Foundation.
I noticed multiple varieties of stink bugs, including this leaf-footed bug, around the farm on Monday while I was harvesting produce. These bad bugs are known for their horrible stench when you squish them. They especially flock to flowering brassicas at this time of year, so be on guard in your own garden and exercise quick and agile pinching fingers!
Chick Report Update
Great news – we’ve managed to add a few more breeds of chicks to this week’s order, many that folks have specifically been waiting for, so I wanted to make sure y’all knew about them! Available at Renfrow Hardware on Friday at 8am, first come, first served.
All chicks are females except for Silkie Bantams, which are not sexed.
- Golden Sex Link
- Production Red
- Rhode Island Red
- Black Australorp
- Buff Orpington
- Silver Wyandotte
- Naked Neck
- Assorted Silkie Bantams (unsexed)